The imposing edifice accommodating the Beer Museum has been listed as a Historic Monument since 24 February 1986. Along with the Palais du Gouverneur, which currently houses the Museum’s administrative offices, it’s one of the oldest buildings in the town of Stenay. Archaeological digs have indicated that it was previously a wheat store for the military citadel built between 1609 and 1615.
Following the French Revolution, the building was abandoned until a maltster bought it at the end of the 19th century. Its new purpose required a series of architectural changes: building an additional storey and constructing a tower at each end (malt kilns). The tail end of the 19th century was the malt house’s finest hour. After it closed, the building was used first as a barracks, then as a warehouse and finally as a coal store. In 1984, the town of Stenay bought the building to provide premises for a Beer Museum. The town of Stenay continues to allow the Meuse department use of the building.